Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How bad is Blitz?? (Read 6940 times)
Tater_Salad

the only prescription
is more cowbell

Re: How bad is Blitz??
Reply #3 - 11/15/05 at 16:59:14
Post Tools
i think blitz can be a pretty useful training tool as long as its not the only training tool. some people, like me, don't absorb things they read very well at all. the one advantage that blitz has is that you get to see the patterns unfold over and over. if you take a quick look back through your blitz games and correct early mistakes, you'll find that you have a lot easier time remembering things as well as understanding why it is you're playing the moves that you're playing.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #2 - 11/15/05 at 11:38:01
Post Tools
'Theoretically' speaking blitz supposedly trains your overall board vision & scope/potential of your pieces. Trains you to visualise potential swindles be you the swindler or 'swindlee' quicly & trains quick positional assesment. The more you play it the better your otb play.Undecided

Somehow it never applied to me! The worst part abt blitz is you can end up extremely positionally & materially superior to your opponent but yet lose cos your flag dropped 1st. That to me sucks cos in internet chess thats a huge loss of rating points especially if you lose to somebody rated far less than yourself. It affects the morale. hence ive stopped playing blitz on the net.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/15/05 at 11:18:36
Post Tools
Yes. I know what you're taking about. I never got a proper chess education. I started playing chess in the early eighties and only started studying it properly in the mid nineties. I don't have that much energy for chess now. The last few years I've only used NiC magazine for education. Well, I've also looked at a few opening books but I don't study as much I used to.

Still, I think more about the game now than I've ever done.

Playing blitz is like watching TV. It doesn't require much energy and concentration. (Well, I don't play blitz that seriously anyway.) Some people claim TV watching makes you lazy and perhaps blitz has the same effect. I think it's easy to play the same "system openings" in blitz without thinking at all, repeating the same mistakes over and over again without noticing it. It's when you try the same moves in "real" games you might realize that this blitz style is rather useless.

I think it's a matter of committing to practise hours to get the work done. It's difficult to get the analyses going when only studying once in a while.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

How bad is Blitz??
11/15/05 at 09:17:58
Post Tools
Apologies if this is well-trodden ground (in which case please direct me to those fields).

Assume you played chess as a little kid, and did quite well, but never really got coached, nor really bothered with theory. You then discovered theory and got depressed about it. You realised this was too big a topic and moved on. Years later you suddenly played some computer chess again, on and off, and the odd tournament. Did not lose all the time, but hardly got anywhere (of course). Then moved on. Then suddenly, when very busy with other things in life, you 'got ICC'. You suddenly started trying to do what you never really did properly, and worked through some books, like Tarrasch and so on. You played more and more and improved slowly. You buy opening books, but it takes forever to work through a single variation, and you are committed to other things.

You start playing blitz for the first time in your life. You suck at it. You don't seem to get much better at it. You try your best to fit in long games, but who has 4-6 hours to spare on a daily basis? You try to fit in some book-learning, but it is painfully slow, and you start playing more and more bad blitz, at the expense of analysis and proper games. After all, you do want to have fun, and blitz is chess, in a way, which you can at least play in under 10 minutes.

So, you have not lost this new-found interest in the game, nor your desire to improve. You think about the game an awful lot. Sometimes it's almost scary. You lose many hours to the game that you should probably be spending on other things. But you still don't really have the time to work anything like 'full-time' on playing long games or learning theory. So, you end up playing more bad blitz.

Putting it all into a short question: does the bad blitz do harm? Are you wasting time you could have spent on theory or a few long games playing games of McChess? Or is the repetition of patterns you eventually experience in blitz better than just the odd long game and some theory a week (bearing in mind that you would forego the pleasure of actually finishing many games of chess that way)??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo